Child having soft squishy spot on scalp. What could it be?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
my 4 yr old granddaughter has a soft squishy spot on her scalp that measures approx. 12 cm x 10 cm and ct shows possible lipoma vs abscess vs cystic hygroma?
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
nothing to worry- minor surgery may be needed

Detailed Answer:

Well, it would be difficult to predict what this lump could be. I shall cite some means by which you can predict the close possible cause.

1. If the scalp lesion is of short duration and has some redness around, then this can be abscess - though not very common .
2. Cystic hygroma is brightly trans illumination positive - that is glows reds when you direct a source of light on the lump.
3. Lipoma is a condition that takes some years to grow to this size. It is not painful and has a rubbery feel.
4. Hemangiomas are common in scalp - will have reddish hue.

CT can identify its contents.

Anyway there is nothing to worry as these are benign lesions. Minor surgery will be able to rectify the problem.

Let me know if you need clarifications.

Good luck

God bless

Dr Uma