Child having small irregular bruises on arm and face. What could be causing this and cure?

Jul 2012

My 11 yr old daughter has had these small irregular shaped bruises popping up on her right arm since she was 6 years old. They are gray colored, feel indented into the skin, and irregular in shape. they do not itch, do not change color or size but they do not go away either. She has seen almost 24 dermatologist on this and we have yet to find out what they are and what is causing them. Recently we have found a small one on her face. we have been told in the past that it could be lupus, but her symptoms do not match up with what is is to have lupus. Any help would be tremendous help..
Posted Sun, 2 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 7 hours later
Hi there.
Am not too sure if after 24 dermatologists' , i can suggest much that may be useful. However, has any skin biopsy been done? This should ideally be done from the lesional area (area where these bruises present) & from a covered area eg upper back/abdomen & it should be subjected to both histopathology & immunoflorescent staining. This will then give you a clear idea on how to proceed further. Has she had any history of seizures or any attention deficit disorder & has there ever been a simple skull xray or Ct head & neck done? Am just playing the devils' advocate here.. My gut feeling is it is probably a simple nevus issue (moles or birth marks) & there is absolutely no issue to be worried about. I wish your child good health & hope this advice helps you make an informed deciscion. Good Luck & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India