Child having shaky head, hand and upper body. What are the complications?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
we have a 9month baby that had some trmmor for the first time ... head shaking tremmors and arm-hand , upper body
may be 10 sec to 30 apart , lasted may be 10 min on off , calmed down after 15 min

may be attributed to too much excitement ?
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
According to the details you have provided it seems most probably a partial seizure ie involuntary movement which can be triggered by various factors like fever ,electrolyte disturbances,hereditary seizure disorders etc.
However it needs to be evaluated further by a pediatrician for confirmation.
Overstimulation in terms of decreased sleep , dehydration ,inadequate feeding and over exertion might be a contributing factor but it's not likely to be the sole reason.
The episode if recorded , the neurological examination of the child and a baseline electroencephalogram ( EEG) might be helpful for a doctor to come to an exact conclusion.
A specific type of seizure called Salaam attacks Or myoclonic epilepsy of infancy is to be suspected if there is forceful forward bending of head and chest along with upper extremities.
So please do not neglect this symptom and do seek prompt medical consultation if it recurs.
However in any case do not panic as most childhood seizures can be successfully treated and can have good prognosis .
Hope I have answered your query .
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Follow-up: Child having shaky head, hand and upper body. What are the complications? 4 hours later
thank you for the reply

Just a clarification if it can help any further

The condition that occurred is more like a "big twitch" or a XXXXXXX shiver" , XXXXXXX one head rotational shake" rather than a prolonged tremor that would be more consistent with a fit.The symptoms were not as mentioned relating to myoclonic epilepsy.

I am not sure if there is any thing you can add
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes the time duration of any seizure can vary and it neednot be prolonged . It could be a twitch or a momentary shaking episode , and even if doesn't resemble myoclonic epilepsy it is still an involuntary movement . Any such involuntary spasm or movement should be further evaluated to be on the safer side.
Considering child is conscious , and there is a very brief twich or spasm it does not seem to be a life threatening seizure and is more likely to respond well to medications .so do get it investigated and I hope it will resolve soon.
Wishing your child a speedy recovery.