Child having severe cough and cold. Prescribed with leolin and monT syrup. Need suggestion

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013
Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
Hello dr my 3.1year son got cold on friday thick nasal secretion and he was able to remove easily On monday we took him to pead dr wer he had cough and cold but no running nose Dr prescribed leolin, cheston 3ml thrice daily and advent 5ml but I dint start that But from yesterday he has severe cough Not taking food Night hevdint sleep continuesly coughing Sleeps 5min with breating deeply sounds in nose then coughs vomited once by coughing heavily Today we went to another pead dr as our follow up dr was not avalable today...... He told it may be adenoid and prescribed Leolin to continue Cheston to stop To start monT syrup night 3.5ml once Oxydrops Fastclav 125 6.5ml twice Gave salbair and budate mix nebulisation at 12 and 4pm Now he z sleeping with same severe cough .... ?............ Help me My son z 11.8kg No history before like dz Once he got cough like dz at his 2year but not severe like dz I dint start mont and fastclave 125 yet Why my dr asked me to stop cheston and why he precribed new syrup mont My son now not having running nose but wen he sleeps sounds from nose Z it thick secretion or due to inflamation Now I need to Continue cheston or mont Cheston z mucolyte! Mont for..........????
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Continue monT Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. Your child seems having a wheeze associated respiratory infection. Hence the second doctor has advised monT and nebulization with salbair and budate. I suggest you to continue the medications Fastclav, Levolin, Mont, and nebulization as advised by the pediatrician. I suggest you to send the generic drug name of monT in your next follow up query. I am assuming that it contains montelukast sodium. It is given in running nose and to decrease allergic symptoms. I suggest you to continue Mont. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.

Follow-up: Child having severe cough and cold. Prescribed with leolin and monT syrup. Need suggestion 48 minutes later
Mont has Levocetrizine XXXXXXX n montelukast sodium Thank u dr Can I take him for nebu 2moro also My dr told not required But z it beneficial? Or if I repeat any prob

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Nebulization for 1 to 2 days. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for getting back and for providing the details. MonT (levocetrizine and montelukast) works for cold and allergic and wheezing associated cough. If there is cough with wheezing, you can continue nebulization for 1 to 2 days. Nebulization with salbair causes widening of narrowed small airways thus giving relief from wheeze and cough. And I suggest you to be in follow up with the pediatrician to examine the lungs and to assess the response to medication. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.

Follow-up: Child having severe cough and cold. Prescribed with leolin and monT syrup. Need suggestion 2 minutes later
S thank u lot Made me clear so confused This z great thank u

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are welcome. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX You are welcome and thank you very much for contacting me on Healthcare Magic. If you don't have any clarification I request you to close the discussion and please rate and review my answer. And I wish your child speedy recovery and good health. Best regards.

Follow-up: Child having severe cough and cold. Prescribed with leolin and monT syrup. Need suggestion 14 hours later
Good morning dr Cough has reduced more than 50% But once night he vomited milk due to cough Morning I started fastclav as just jow we gotbthe syrup Now cough reduced Secretion came out by removing Still secretion z der Given steam inhalation

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Continue medication and be in follow up. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Good morning and thank you for getting back. Vomiting after cough is commonly seen in children and once cough subsided there will be no vomiting. It is called posttussive vomiting and requires no specific treatment. Secretions will come down gradually. Continue the medication as per the prescription and be in follow up till the child recovers completely. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. And I wish the child speed recovery. Regards.

Follow-up: Child having severe cough and cold. Prescribed with leolin and monT syrup. Need suggestion 11 minutes later
Now it z productive cough not like before how it was like drum sound He z not taking milk or food properly Wat kind of food we have to avoid and encourage

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Give freshly prepared and cooked soft diet. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for getting back. Levolin will take care of productive cough. Try to give feeds in small quantity at frequent intervals. Avoid cool and chilled foods and drinks like juices. Try to give his favorite foods. Encourage him to drink adequate water. Freshly prepared and cooked foods at home are ideal and make his diet soft by mashing it for easy swallowing. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.

Follow-up: Child having severe cough and cold. Prescribed with leolin and monT syrup. Need suggestion 5 minutes later
Thank u sir

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 minute later
Brief Answer: Welcome. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX You are welcome. And thank you very much for contacting me on Healthcare Magic. Best regards.

Follow-up: Child having severe cough and cold. Prescribed with leolin and monT syrup. Need suggestion 58 minutes later
Sorry sir to disturb again I'm totally worried Given fastclave and gave him after half an hour rice Just now vomited by coughing Fastclave too came out6.5ml orange flavour Leolin given early morning But active like normal Will give rice after half an hour again nd see If he vomits again Will take him to dr evening He slept without having food

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Moniotor hydration, consult doctor in vomits again Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for getting back. Vomiting after drug is due to irritation of his stomach. Nothing to worry as the child is active. If vomitings are persistent, you can give an anti emetic like ondansetron in prescribed dose with doctor advice. If vomitings continue, give him sips of oral rehydration solutions such as Pedialyte to maintain hydration. Monitor his hydration. Try soft diet once he wakes up. Try to give syrup slowly by spoon sip by sip. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.

Follow-up: Child having severe cough and cold. Prescribed with leolin and monT syrup. Need suggestion 9 hours later
He got vomit again N thrice very small amount of loose motion Temp 99.8 I gave smear and We went to dr He asked to stop fastclav Given paracetomol HP 250 3ml given now Claviford I don't start scared he may vomit again I will start morning Lanzoprasol orally disinterested tab given b4 food Worried of all medicine and side effects Lanzoprasol tab given for 10days I'm disolving it in 2ml water n giving z it OK Again if I start antibiotic he may vomit Wat happens if I antibiotic not given Y loose stools Good morning dr I have to give morning all dz Paracetamol HP 250 (has fever sleeping now) Claviford have to start Leolin Gelusil Wen I have to give gelusil so to avoid vomiting Emeset z not prescribed

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Give medication with time gap between 2 drugs. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for getting back. I can understand your concern. The medications prescribed by the doctor are safely given to children. You can give Lansoprazole after dissolving in 2 ml of water. And give it before food. Antibiotic is prescribed to treat the infection. If it is not given, the infection will progress and his symptoms wont subside. The loose stool may be antibiotic induced. If stool are loose, you can give an oral probiotic like econorm XXXXXXX after mixing in water once daily. Give medication in a slowly manner and give paracetamol if there is fever present. Give some time gap between the two drugs. Give Gelucil after half an hour of feed. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.

Follow-up: Child having severe cough and cold. Prescribed with leolin and monT syrup. Need suggestion 6 minutes later
OK thank u sir

Brief Answer: You are welcome. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for getting back. Give medications slowly by using a spoon. And I wish your kid speedy recovery. Best regards.

Follow-up: Child having severe cough and cold. Prescribed with leolin and monT syrup. Need suggestion 6 hours later
Good noonc sir child got loose stools thrice Given all syrep no vomit Loose stool z dark green ,, throws up Sir now he need any medication to control loose stool Or I can control it by food z that enf Or need to consult my peadiatrician again evening?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Give an oral probiotic XXXXXXX to control stools. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for getting back. For loose stools, I suggest you to give an oral probiotic such as econorm XXXXXXX or enterogermina for 3 days. And give sips of oral rehydration solutions such as Pedialyte to prevent dehydration from loose stools. Monitor the child hydration and activity. Consult the pediatrician for the prescription of oral probiotic and to assess the general condition. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.