Child having runny nose, fever, loss of appetite and feeling sleepy. Worrisome

My child came down with a runny nose last week and his fever is 37.4 now been trying to cool him down, has been sick with this and lost of appetite and energy just wants to sleep. I'm very worried. Sleep pattern and crys usually.
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 1 hour later

You said your 22 months old child had runny nose and got fever also he was sick, lost appetite and energy.

The history gives me an impression he has an infection most likely Virus. I would wait and see another 24 hours. In the meantime give him paracetamol syrup (500mgm/5ml) 2.5 ml four times daily. Give extra fluids with electrolytes (Dioralyte sachets) add 1 XXXXXXX in 200mls of boiled and cooled water and feed the child frequently. Tepid sponge him to bring the temperature down.

If the temperature continues over 36 hours, vomiting persists; I strongly advise you to take the child to your GP for clinical examinations especially the ears and throat. He may need a course of antibiotics if your GP feels.

Do write back if you have more queries, I wish your baby a quick recovery.

Kindest regards
Follow-up: Child having runny nose, fever, loss of appetite and feeling sleepy. Worrisome 34 minutes later
Thank you, he's not even eating or drinking when I offer it to him, his temperature won't come down it's now 38.3, he did have tonsiltus last week and was treated with penacillan.

I am sorry to hear about that.
It may well be relapse of Tonsilitis.
There are 2 problems here: his refusal to eat and refusal to take medications. There is no way one can argue with 20 months old child. If he does not eat properly for a day or two it does not matter much but if he refuses to drink and refuses medication, I am deeply concerned.
I think he should preferably be admitted to hospital. I think you should see your GP or take him to A/E (emergency) Department.
Kindest regards.
PS It is strange coincidence that I am replying from Whitworth Near Rochdale Lancashire UK.