Child having runny nose and frequent cough. Suggest medication and dosage

my daughter is 1.4 years old, 11kgs. she has runny nose, frequent cough,for the past 3 days and no fever. Her older sister had cold too.her sleep at night is disturbed.there is a grunting sound in her chest(not a whistle). I have kufril drops(1ml - ambroxol XXXXXXX - 7.5 mg, levosalbutamol- 0.25mg, guaiphenesin 12.5 mg) with me.and also citrizine syrup. what should be the correct dosage. pls revert asap.
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us
I understand your concern.

Your child is having respiratory symptoms which is mostly viral in nature and settles in few days.

I suggest you to give cetrizine syrup 2.5ml at bed time.
Also give steam inhalation for 5 to 10 min.
Give warm fluids like lemon tea,vegetable soup.

In case symptoms persist for more than 48hours or there is any other symptom I suggest you to get her examined by pediatrician since physical examination will be required in that case for further management.

Hope I have answered your query,in case you have any further question I would be glad to help.

Wishing you kids good health.

God bless...
Follow-up: Child having runny nose and frequent cough. Suggest medication and dosage 54 minutes later
hi doctor,
my elder daughter too had similar allergy related cough and cold.she does not have asthma though. She used to be prescribed citrizine and ambrodil s,should i go with the same prescription for my younger child, if situation persists and if yes what dosage.
if antibiotics are to be administered, what should be the symptom.
also a local doc here has prescribed deriyphylline -4ml, just need to know if it is considered safe for children below 1.6 years.
i am at a place where direct medical help isnt easily available, hence...
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
thanks for your follow up.

I understand your concern and problem that medical facility is not easily available.
But self medication is not recommended as physical examination is required for diagnosis and also every child is different.

You can give medication as prescribed by your doctor and deriphylline is totally safe if given in proper dosage.

Antibiotics are given in case bacterial infection is suspected .

If ambrodil s is to be given it can be given in dose of 2.5 ml 3 times a day.

Hope it helps.

Let me know if you have any further query.

Take care..