Child having runny nose. Could this be allergy?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My baby is 10 months.
one month ago the weather started to change in my country,turning from warm to cool,and cold ..since then I noticed that my baby has runny nose (colerless mucus).
no shortness in breath but her nose is stuffed most of the time i noticed she breathes from her mouth sometimes especially while sleeping .
her father and I both have Allergy.
if the case is allergy what can I do to reduce that or to make things easier for her?
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 2 hours later
Thanks for writing to healthcare magic.
Do not worry. Its too early to predict allergy .
What I presume is just cold induced rhinitis which should settle soon. You can try saline drops 2 drops 4 times daily in both nostrils to relieve her nose block.
If symptoms persist or recur, then allergy is a possibility given a family history of allergy.
Monteleukast is anti allergic drug which can be given to reduce and prevent allergic episodes.
Its usually safe and can be given to kids.
If she gets frequent cold without fever, you can also get allergy skin test or Elisa which is done in special allergy clinics .
Hope I answered your query in detail.
If needed get back to me.
Dr Arun
Follow-up: Child having runny nose. Could this be allergy? 4 hours later
Doctor would you please clarify the following for me
Doesnt the colorless mucus indicate allergy and colored mucus indicate infection?
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Arun 5 hours later
Colored mucous like greenish or yellowish happens usually in bacterial infection .
Colourless mucous can be due to viral infection or allergy.
To differentiate allergy from infection , the following points may be useful

1)Fever comes before running nose in infection. In allergy fever follows it.
2) Allergic cold usually has plenty of itching and redness. Typically kids keep rubbing their nose ( allergicsalute ) in allergy
Wishing your kid good health
Dr Arun