Child having round bump below ribs and in the center of upper stomach region. Should I seek medical attention?

My son has a two inch, round bump below his ribs, in the center of his upper stomach region. He has the chills, has a temperature of 96.8 and has felt weak and nauseated for two days. Should I take him to the ER? If not, I will take him to see his pediatrician tomorrow morning. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please take him to the ER

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Please measure the temperature with a different thermometer if it is available. You may also try measuring the temperature on another individual. If the thermometer is proved to be right then definitely you should take your kid to ER.

How long did you notice he round bump there. From the description provided I feel it should be the bony part of lower part of the sternum. A physical examination is required to confirm the same.
Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.
Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics