Child having red sunburn-like rash and itchy all over. Body is complete red. Suggest the medication?

My 6 yr old son just woke up covered in a red sunburn-like rash and itchy all over. He is not on any meds. No new foods. His body is completely red. Should i go to hospital with him ?
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
in my opinion you should take him to hospital

Detailed Answer:
I understand your concern.
This allergic symptom could be due to variety of causes.
-Any viral infection.
-Insect bite.
-Any food allergy.

Physical examination is required in this case so I suggest you to get him examined by doctor.

In the meantime you can you can do following measures:
-apply ice over affected area.
-apply calamine lotion.
-give antihistaminic like benadryl.

Hope I have answered your query,if you have any further question I would be glad to help.

Wishing your child good health.

God bless...
Follow-up: Child having red sunburn-like rash and itchy all over. Body is complete red. Suggest the medication? 4 hours later
The last time he had this was over amoxocillin and they assumed serum sickness. He has had nothing to eat out of the ordinary and tested neg to nut allergies :-( can insect bites cause a reaction? It started at his ears.
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
relax,there is nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up.

Yes sometimes insect bites also cause such rashes.

In this case it has started from back of ears ,it could be a part of prodromal symptom of some viral illness.

In case rash is progressing get him examined by pediatrician.

Let me know if you have any other question.