Child having red pimples on face, ears, arms and legs. Not cured by medicine. Any solution?

My son is one and half year old, from last 2 weeks, he has got some red pimples like thing on his face, ears, arms and legs and those have very bad itching. He is scratching his skin very badly mostly while sleeping. I check this with one pediatrician but she didn't give any reason. she has provided some medicine but still he didn't get any relief. Can you please help me to get the reason of this problem and any solution if itching can be reduced.
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 13 hours later

I have read your query with diligence and I would be pleased to answer your question.

The red itchy pimples on the face ears arms and legs can be autoeczematization / papular urticaria / Contact Dermatitis.

I would suggest that you apply a mild hydrocortisone cream on the area twice a day or Desowen Lotion (Desonide, Galderma) twice a day on the affected areas. This is very safe option for your child. You can also apply calamine lotion for a period of 1 week in the evening to reduce the associated itching and inflammation.

Make sure that no wool is used for the child. Keep the child in cotton clothes. Do not use very hot water for bathing and keep the child hydrated.

Also apply a lot of moisturizer (Sebamed or Vaseline body lotion)

If the conditions do not improve, you might need to show him to the dermatologist for clinical examination and to rule out other conditions like scabies, lupus, etc.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns.