Child having rashes and have platelet function disorder. Should I be concerned?

My 2.5yo Son has broken out in this rash. He has had it for the past 4 weeks and it seems to be getting worse. We have been to the GP several times with different answers given each time. We were told first it was Chicken Pox, then a viral illness then hives. More spots are breaking out today. He does have a platelet function disorder relating to the sticking of the platelets. Any help would be great!
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need more details about skin lesions Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, I understand your concern regarding your child's skin condition and I hope I will be able to help you in the same. Now I have had a close look at the pictures that you have attached. Going by the nature of the skin lesions, the first thing that comes to mind is chicken pox. But then , it is very unlikely for chicken pox to persist for as long as a month. These skin lesions cannot be assigned to hives according to me. Now since your child has some associated platelet disorder along with liver and spleen enlargement, all of this leads me towards certain possibilities which are either Pityriasis rosea, vasculitis or erythema multiforme. Now the clinical appearance may be similar in these cases. I need to know more details about the onset and progression of the lesions. Certain things I would like to know from you before we can come to a conclusion. Firstly , these look like fluid filled lesions. Are all lesions similar looking? What are the sites of the body where these lesions are present? Are they present over the limbs and trunk? Do these lesions appear in crops? Is it that you have development of few new lesions every few days while the old lesions heal? Was there any cough and cold before onset of these lesions? Are there any lesions in the mouth , over genitalia and over hands and feet? Is the child having any itching over the lesions? Is there any other symptom like fever, abdominal pain, joint pain ,any blood in urine? Is your child on any drugs for any condition? These are some important things that I would like you to elaborate on, so that I can guide you accordingly. Waiting for your response, Dr Geetika Paul.
Follow-up: Child having rashes and have platelet function disorder. Should I be concerned? 9 hours later
Hi, Thanks for your response. Yes all lesions look similar, they are all over his body but mainly his trunk, arms and legs. None on hands or feet but a dot heading towards his genatalia. Yes its like new ones keep appearing every few days while the old ones seem to fade. He had a fever 4 weeks ago with a green runny nose and he still has the runny nose and poos. He is it itching the area behind his neck at times but not always. No medications at present and just the fever, green nose and yukky poos. Brooke
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 6 hours later
Brief Answer: looks like pityriasis rosea Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for all the details. Your child seems to be have developed pityriasis rosea. Now this is essentially a harmless skin condition. It is an autoimmune reaction which usually follows an episode of cough and cold. We do have a similar presentation in your case. First of all, I would tell you not to worry too much. It is k self limiting skin condition. Skin lesions usually follow an episode of respiratory infection. The lesions appear in crops every few days. Such episodes may continue for upto 6 weeks and even more sometimes. All you can do is to apply a topical steroid cream over the skin lesions if your child hel itching. A course of azithromycin which is an oral antibiotic is prescribed by some dermatologists. But all the treatment given is mainly supportive as the condition is self limiting in nature. If in case, lesions tend to persist for more than two month, then you can plan a skin biopsy with your dermatologist. But I don't think that these will be need of a biopsy. You can however see a paediatrician for the loose stools if they are worrisome. Hope it helps If you have any other query, please let me know. Dr Geetika Paul