Child having pins and needles sensation in the ribs and chest area. What should I do?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My child is complaining about a pins and needles pain/sensation in the left rib/ chest area? What should I do?
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 3 hours later
Welcome to HCM!
Does your child have cold,cough or breathlessness?
Is the pain brought on by XXXXXXX breathing?
Was there any injury?
When you press any particular rib,does he complain of pain or in other words is he able to localise the pain to any one point?
If all the above are not there then it is not related to XXXXXXX organs like lungs and heart.
It must be a superficial pain from the skin and subcutaneous tissue.
Give him some tylenol or ibuprofen(after food) and watch!
If pain does not subside then take him to ER.
One thing you have to watch out is whether he develops any skin rash over that area suggestive of herpes zoster.
All the best
God bless
Dr Uma