Child having persistent mucus and runny nose in one nostril. What cure should be done?

My 3 year old daughter has had persistent mucus and runny nose in one nostril only for around 10 weeks, constantly running but nay from the right nostril. recently the mucus is blood tinged-to very bloody.
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 7 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
Children of this age are quite fidgety and for that very reason the mucus/blood/blocked nose only on one side is most commonly caused by a foreign body. The child might be playing with some small thing and in the process might have pushed it in the nostril.
Another very rare cause in that age can be a polyp, an boil, a deviated/ulcerated septum.
In any case you should take her to an ENT doctor as soon as possible because delaying can give the infection a chance to spread or to lead to perforation or local damage.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!