Child having pea size lump in the vase of skull. Is it a sign of leukaemia?

My two year old grandaughter had fever for days. When it was over I found an area of swelling about 1.5 x square with a lump abut size of large pea in the vase of her skull, rt. side above beck.. Im afraid its a sign of leukemia which killed her cousin 40 years ago. She is back to normal great health; but going in for white blood cell count today. I am scared but hiding it.
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No worries for now.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I am afraid its too early, and just being so worried thinking about leukaemia at this point in time. A lump in the head with a history of fever would certainly imply a possible bacterial infection. i do not think you should be disturbed about leukemia at this point.

Leukemia, has actually a different and shall rarely , or almost impossible to present itself as a mass and in such a fashion.

Tiredness, chronic fever, anemia, recurrent infections, weakness, easy bruising are common signs of leukemia in children.

I do not think its leukemia. Getting the child examined to exclude an infection, abscess, or a cyst should be done by your family physician.

I suggest you stop worrying, or get a review by your family physician. Feel free asking further questions if you have particular concerns. I shall be glad to contribute to your well being.

Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD
Follow-up: Child having pea size lump in the vase of skull. Is it a sign of leukaemia? 4 hours later
Dr. Bain,

I find your response to be excellent. It is richer in detail than what the doctors have given in person. As an educated person in another health field, I am amazed at how well you provided a calming, useful perspective on "lumps with ref. to fever"; the general way leukemia is presented versus what I described. With this understanding we can interact with the little girl's physician feeling empowered as and effective communicators (minimizing irrational worries prematurely).

I would use this service again if I continued to get the high quality response you gave with such a great ethernet 'bedside' manner.

As a XXXXXXX I hope I can remember how to use this App effectively and wonder if there is a way to ask questions and access your response beyond the two day limit. I'd appreciate being referred to admin. staff for guidance; but expect this line of questioning to be outside of your purview.

Please convey my commendation for your service.

Thanks for making my day!

Oh, I forgot to ask how long should a child with a 101 degree fever and obvious malaise and discomfort, be left to get better, without being taken to the doctor?

Any 'best parent practice' recomendations?

That's all for now.

With gratitude,
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Might be difficut to predict. More info needed

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your very kind and touching words.

The evolution of fever and malaise can really be difficult to predict. This shall of course depend on the cause.

Fevers/malaise of viral origin are generally short lived and could take a few days and rarely more than a week to get resolved. This is usually faster when fever lowering drugs (antipyretics like Acetaminphen and abscess forms in the process. The type of bacteria is also important. Some produce more spectacular febrile states than others.

Typhoid fever fevers are usually intermittent in nature. TB produces fevers that are more intense at night and the course could be unpredictable. Acute viral infections like HIV produces fevers that usually last for about two weeks and fade out on their won.

Systemic disease like , rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, polymyalgia rheumatica and tumors or leukemias will produce fevers that are intermittent and long lasting.

The past medical history, age, clinical presentation are all important in evaluation and investigation of fevers.

As earlier mentioned, from first sight, it might erroneous drawing conclusions on the possible course of fever without taking into considerations aspects of the past history and actual clinical state.

Thanks and kind regards as I wish you good health.

Bain LE, MD