Child having pain in the groin area, pain while urination and bowel movement, vomiting

My 8 yr old son has been complaining, off and on about a sharp pain on the right side of the fat pad next to his penis. The pain it brief. There is no visible sign of hernia. It also hurts him when he pushes to urinate as well as when he pushes during his bowel movement. I've been checking his stool and they are soft and urine is light in color. One week ago today he vomited with no fever, next day he ran a low grade fever of 99.8, not sure if it is part of this problem or not. Have taken him to his pedriatician, but things are still not clear to me as to what's causing this pain for my boy.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 1 hour later

Your son has a history of appendectomy, asthma, recurrent stomach pain. He is now complaining of pain next to his penis (on the right side) that increases when he passes both his stools and urine. His pediatrician has cleared him.

A week back he had an attack of fever and vomiting. You want to know whether the two problems (the attack of pain and vomiting, and pain next to his penis) are related.

From your description I think ‘yes’, the attack of fever a week back could be related to the present problem. Since the pediatrician has ruled out hernia and probably hydrocoele (fluid accumulation in scrotum), or anything serious, there is a possibility of inflamed lymph glands on the right side that could be causing the problem--hurting whenever there is pressure while passing stools or urine.

Another possibility is an incipient boil. Do look out for any palpable glands in his right groin or a reddish area indicating a developing boil and get back to me.