Child having pain in knees, tops of feet and hands. X-ray is normal. What could be the cause?

Hello. My Daughter is 8 and will be 9 July 6th. As of the last week she has been having pain in her knees, tops of her feet and her hands. She cries and cries. I took her to our GP 4 days ago and he thinks its "growing pains". She had an x-ray done and it said it was good. My daughter is very active, but she is crying of pain most of the day and night. It's even interrupting her at school. Thank you so much!
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 2 hours later

I am Dr. XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to help you.

Based from the history it seems that your daughter is having leg pain day and night, and you did go for an - "X-ray" and found nothing wrong with it and your physician said its growing pain.

Here is what I think, I do agree with your physician being most common cause of bone pain at 8-9 years age. Since the "X-ray" came out negative indicating no major fractures are seen. Its a pain that will be their and over the counter pain medication will help subside the pain. My younger sister did has same issue while she was growing up, it seem to affect more to female may be due to low pain tolerance. Generally while the bone is growing it stretches the nerves along its sides giving sensation of pain in the legs.

Their is last option remaining for satisfaction is, further investigation with CT scan for more information. But their is really no need to do that.

Hope this will address your need for now, for any further concern feel free to contact me.

Thanks for the question.