Child having pain in back of head. What could be the reason?

Nov 2013

my 3 year toddler complains pain at the back side of the head. every time when I put shampoo on his head and massage he said it hurts and then when I pore water he feels better this is happening for almost 2 months now
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 32 minutes later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
First of all, let me reassure you that the symptoms do not suggest any serious brain disease.
The most likely cause could be a muscular pain in the area affected. Please ensure that the pillow height during sleep is medium and it's not big.
Vascular headaches similar to migraine can rarely occur in very small children, but is unlikely in this case.
Please watch for headaches on waking up in morning, any vomiting or any imbalance while walking. If any of these symptoms occur, a brain scan (CT or MRI) may be done.
I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any additional queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist