Child having nasal congestion since birth, prescribed Apisal. Cry due to breathing problem. Suggest?

Pediatrician, Critical Care
Hi Doctor,
My baby born on 28th october 2013, from day of birth he is suffering from accute nasal the time of birth neonatalogist told that there is no problem and prescribed APISAL(Sodium chloride solution) nasal drop. but now he is 7 months old and still suffering with this problem, some times he wakeup in night many times and cry due to breathing problem due to nasal blockage.when APISAL drops used he feel relief.Pl's advise me should we consult to ENT specialist or it will be cured when he will grow.Can u provide mw weaning chart for my baby.weighing 8.5 kg.
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Tejas Shah 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query here.

Nasal congestion ongoing for this many months after birth definitely needs to be evaluated. There are many causes of nasal congestion ranging from simple cold infection, allergy, to problems in nose development or things like polyps (small swelling inside the nose). My suggestion in this scenario would be to get reviewed by ENT Specialist and get treatment based on the findings of examination.

Your son's current weight seems all right.

I would suggest following weaning plan (you've not mentioned whether you eat non-vegetarian foods or not, whether he is taking liquids other than milk):
1. Start with one thing at a time and try for 1-2 days before trying new thing
2. Semisolids like fruit/vegetable purees are good starting place
3. Ready-made rice-cereals are also good from nutrition point of view
4. Other foods to try - mashed potato/mashed bananas/rice

You need to keep an eye on his weight. There may be transient alteration in his bowel habits with introduction of weaning foods.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact.

Dr Tejas Shah