Child having lump on nape, loss of appetite and cough. What is the problem?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Hi Dr. Grief, my 2 years old son has a lump on his nape, more or less in the direction of the right ear. 2 weeks ago he got sick, lost the apetite, was coughing and sneezing with temperature up to 37.8C, not more than that. In addition to this, he is getting his 2 last milk teeth. What can this be? The lump is the size of a coin, and although my son doesnt let me see it properly, I guess its hard...
Posted Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 14 minutes later
Welcome to health care magic !
What you are describing looks like an enlarged lymph node!
A throat infection can cause this .Also any mouth infection can also present like this.
There are some other general causes also for lymph node enlargement.

However if the swelling is very close to the ear,it can be enlarged parotid gland which will look as if ear lobe is slightly lifted up!

Kindly take him to a Pediatrician to examine him and see .

All the best
God bless
Dr Uma