Child having low haemoglobin level. Should I increase the dose of iron medicine?

Hi, My son is 1 yr. old and his haemoglobin level is 11.9. He is having i-Up (2ml) each day as prescribed by the doctor. Just want to know whether he is anaemic? whether his haemoglobin level is normal and whether I should increase the dose of his iron medicine? Because his doctor said that since his haemoglobin level is not 14 he should have iron medicine upto 5 ml each day. I am bit confused. Please let me know.
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Normal level of Hb in 1 yr is 10 to 14mg/dl Detailed Answer: Hi, Your baby's Hb is not in worrisome range. It is just within normal range. He is definitely not considered anemic for this Hemoglobin. Give him normal diet as you take that include iron XXXXXXX foods like jaggery, green leaves, ragi etc. He should grow healthy. I would not like to comment on your doctor's opinion. Let me know if you have any specific concerns.