Child having low grade fever. CBC blood test showed normal. Could it be allergy?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
My four year old has had low grade fever for three to four weeks. He has had a CBC blood test and it was normal. His doctor said it could be allergies yet he has no cough or runny nose. Any thoughts? YYYY@YYYY
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 1 hour later
Thanks for writing us.
Respiratory symptoms of allergy usually manifests as dry cough or runny nose.
Please mention the Eosinophil count from your CBC report. It is usually increased in allergies.

Fever persisting for three to four weeks indicates some infection in the body.
To allow me to help you better, please answer the following questions:
1. Does the fever occur daily?
2. Is the temperature same throughout or does it peak at some time of the day?
3. Is it accompanied with chills or rigors?
4. What is the maximum temperature recorded?

You can get the some tests done to rule out other common causes of fever :-
1. Urine examination
2. Liver Function Test
2. Tests for Malaria and Typhoid

You can give Paracetamol, in the meantime, for fever. The dose is 15 mg/kg as and when required (upto 4 times a day).

I will be happy answering your further queries.
Follow-up: Child having low grade fever. CBC blood test showed normal. Could it be allergy? 11 hours later
CBC didn't show any signs of infection. He had alson been on three different antibiotics which covered UTI. Low grade fever has never been over 100. Always 99 something. No chills or anything. Completely normal kid. Complains with his bottom front teeth hurting some. Fever runs the same all day.
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 5 hours later

Thanks for providing more details.

Low grade fever of about 99 degrees and not rising above 100 degrees is not very significant, if the child is normal and active.

It would be beneficial, to your child, if you keep him well hydrated. So give him plenty of fluids at frequent intervals.

As he is complaining of pain in his bottom front teeth, get him examined by a dentist to rule out any infection in the gums or tooth, as this can be a cause of the fever.

I hope this is of help to you.
I wish good health to your child.