Child having loose stools, diagnosed to have lactose intolerance and given Cry No drops but no help. Advise?

Hi sir/madam,
I am XXXXXXX from Andhra Pradesh, India. This is with regard to my son. He is 2 months 11 days baby. He is having the problem of loose stools, so, our doctor suggested motion test, 'Stool for Reducing Substance and the result is Positive [+]' the other test is stool for PH result is [6.5]. Our doctor told that he is having the problem of lactose intolerance, so they suggested ' CRY NO' drops it is LACTASE ENZYME but still he is passing 11 to 15 times motion. Sometimes the motion is green in color and it would be watery. Actually I am breast feeding my son.. one thing to tell that my son used to pass motion earlier 20 to 30 times very little, little. now its controlled but still iam worried because earlier when he passes motion he is getting rash, now also if it comes, what to be done. i am worried about it. Kindly suggest me doctor, I would be very much grateful to u. Please suggest me some remedy so that I can breast feed my baby without stopping it.
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 31 minutes later

Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX for resolving your son's problem. From the details that you have mentioned, I can safely counsel you that your son DOES NOT need stopping the breast milk. If the reports are correct, there is no lactose intolerance, since, in that condition, the pH should be more acidic, and 5.5 or less than that. The presence of a small amount of reducing substances does not automatically imply intolerance to milk.

I would also like to know the details of the stool microscopy. Did the stool have pus cells/leukocytes? Were there red blood cells or blood? If there is no blood in the stool, fewer than 10 leukocytes, and if the stool smells only like curd but not foul smelling like the smell of rotten tissue or decay, and if the baby is gaining weight properly, the increased frequency MAY BE NORMAL.

The redness in the anal region occurs because of chapping of the skin and secondary fungal infection of the area. Remember to keep the nappy area dry at all times; use a skin barrier cream like Rashfree or Siloderm after every stool has been cleaned, but ONLY AFTER drying the skin with a soft linen cloth (do not rub). Use an antifungal dusting powder over the ointment ... something like Candid will do. If the area gets infected, he will need an antifungal cream like Candid cream to take care of the infection. If you cannot understand what is fungal infection of the anal area, do an IMAGE SEARCH of the same on a search engine and compare the rash to what your baby has.

Do continue to breast-feed. Do not stop it. Do not give ANYTHING ELSE ... not even water.

Please revert to me with further queries ... and take care.

With best wishes,

Dr. Taher