Child having leg pain with vomiting. Could this be stomach bug?

My son complained yesterday of having leg pain. He was limping and the pain was in the joint area right behind his knees. At one point, he couldn't even walk. He had to be carried. I took him to urgent care, and they couldn't find anything wrong with him. While we were there, he started saying he needed to throw up. I assumed he'd heard it because he's three and repeats everything he hears. We got home and he started eating dinner and vomited almost immediately. Should I be concerned that it's more than a stomach bug?
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Only time will tell whether more than stomach bug

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

First of all, children your sons age usually play a lot and run around more than their fragile bodies can take, giving rise to pains and aches quite often. But, as this pain and limp is not something that should for last more than a day or night, getting it checked was a good idea. I hope a doctor looked in to the affected region and examined it thoroughly, if there was nothing anatomically abnormal found; then the only other possibility I would consider is a viral infection.

This can establish in the form of a temperature, muscular and joint aches, vomiting, nausea, etc. So you will have to look out for these symptoms, and if your son's pain lasts for more than another 24-48 hours, then it is best to visit your son's doctor and consider other possibilities like a viral source. So, only watchful waiting will tell us if this is more than just a stomach bug or not. Please keep in touch with me and report any new symptoms to me at the earliest.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery and a healthy life thereafter.