Child having itchy dark spot on scrotum. Should I consult a doctor?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
G'day Dr. I noticed my 6 year old son was itching his crotch area yesterday and asked him if he was ok. He said "owie" (my son is on the Autism Spectrum and is still working on his speech) and showed me his scrotum where I noticed a small dark spot. It does not appear to be a scab but has a blood blister like appearance although I don't thinks its one. I'm going to monitor it but would like to see if this is something I should seek immediate attention over? Thanks so much for any and all help. Best regards. XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 25 minutes later
What you describe can be an infected lesion like abscess .
The redness can be a sign of inflammation.
It is better that you show him to a doctor because he may need antibiotics early.
Another possibility is fungal infection but usually they are not raised lesions.
Till you reach the doctor,,you can give him some anti histamine like benadryl for itching.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma