Child having high fever. Suggest the treatment?

My 2.2 year old has a 96.2 feever while asleep and sweating. In the evening she had a feever of 101.3. What should i do?
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more details...

Detailed Answer:

It looks like your daughter has been infected. The nature and type of infection is difficult to be predicted based on the details provided. I would like you to provide more details:

1. Since when is she running fever?
2. Since her temperature seems to be low now, did you use any medication?
3. Is she having other complaints too say congested /blocked / runny nose, body rashes, cough, decreased urination, loose stool, vomiting, nausea or any other complaints?
4. Is she actively playing and eating?

I shall await you to provide the aforementioned details. In the meantime, every fever is treated with antipyretic drugs. You should keep a track of her fever every 2-4 hours using regular thermometer. If her temperature rises above 100 deg F, I suggest to use children's tylenol liquid in the dose of 4ml. The dose can be repeated every 6-8 hours if needed.

Hope this helps. Awaiting your reply...

Follow-up: Child having high fever. Suggest the treatment? 7 minutes later
1. She first had a feever of 101.3 last night, i gave her Motrin. During the day she was active playing, feever would flactuate between 98.8 and 99.9. Towards the evening before bed time it went up to 101.3 and i gave her motrin again.
2. So this is the second night that she is running feever.
3. I have checked her feever about 3 hours later after giving her motrin and it is 96.2
4. Other symptoms she has is running nose.

I am just concerned that her feever is low, she is asleep right now, but is sweating. Not sure if i should wake her up? Maybe cover her with a blanket?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to continue monitoring...

Detailed Answer:

A high grade of fever is commonly followed by sweating. It is design which nature has provide to every human to control body temperature. Body temperature falls down as you sweat after a spike of fever. This is what seems to be happening in your case.

So you need not be worried about sweating and slightly low temperature. You can cover her body with soft blanked. Do not use quilt or heavy blanked and do not cover her completely; leave her face area uncovered.

As a whole she seems to be running an upper respiratory infection. Viral cause is the common condition. However streptococcal and other bacterial infection is not rare.

Continue monitoring her temperature. You can repeat motrin if needed but not before 10 hours. Feed her with plenty of fluids (preferably warm) and observe the frequency of urination. Plan to see her pediatrician if fever doesn't improve in a day or two.

I hope this helps. Write back for clarifications.
If all your concerns are addressed, please close this discussion.

Follow-up: Child having high fever. Suggest the treatment? 3 minutes later
Thank you so much for your help.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
If my answer was helpful and you do not any more queries, please close this discussion and leave your feed backs. I would appreciate if you can do that.