Child having high fever. Blood test done. On crocin and meftal-p. Noticed rashes over body. Concerned

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Hello Doctor, I am XXXXXXX and I work for XXXXXXX software, Bangalore and my company is a member of XXXXXXX and it provided the benefits of membership to its employees.
My question : My son (2 years old) has been having fever for about 4 days, The fever on the fourth day was a bit on the higher side about 103 C. We have been taking the advise of a local doctor and she has advised us to go for the following examinations. (1)Dengue Test (2)Typhi Dot (3)Complete Blood Count (4) CRM

The results are as follows. The sample of the blood was given on the 4th day of fever.
(1) Dengue - IgG and IgM are -ve for both
(2) Typhi - ICT -ve
(3) Complete Blood count
I am listing out the ones that she said is concerned about in this report
Leukocyte count : 4.00
Platlet count : 2,29,000
(4) CRM : I am still awaiting the result of the inversigation

Since day 2 we have put him on Crocin every 6 hours and on day 4 when the fever was high she has prescribed to use Meftal-P. From the 5th day on wards we do not see any fever but on the 6th day there are rashes on his body.

The doctor suspectes that this is Dengue (although IgG and IgM tests are Negative).
I am very much concerned. Please advise
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
I understand your concern!
The cardinal features of dengue are fever,pain XXXXXXX behind the eyes,rash and joint pain.

The points against dengue in your child are
1- no joint pains or eye pain.
2-Negative dengue I gM and IgG
3- normal platelet count.
4-Clinical response (he has no fever now)

Regarding the rash,
It may be due to
1-side effect of meftal- can cause rash in some
2-any viral infection can result in a rash in children!

Point of concern!
The child has low total wBC count of 4000, which is suggestive of
viral infections including dengue.

My suggestion is
1- Avoid meftal in future also, more so when there is a doubt of dengue.Use only paracetamol and tepid sponging to bring down the fever
2- you can try antihistamine like cetrizine syrup 1 or 2 doses
3 watch him - Don't worry.
4- If fever comes again you have to do widal, rpt CBC.

All the best
God bless
Dr Uma
Follow-up: Child having high fever. Blood test done. On crocin and meftal-p. Noticed rashes over body. Concerned 9 hours later
Thank you very much Doctor for your response and expert suggestions. I will keep tab on his condition.

As a followup, the consulting doctor has again advised us to go for the CBC (we have given that today morning and are expecting the reports early tomorrow).
Although he was not having any fever.

I will be able to share all the soft copies of the reports for your review and advise. Many Thanks again for your comforting reply.

With Respect
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 4 hours later
Don't worry.I can understand your concern!
Your son will improve soon.
God bless!
Happy Deepavali.
Dr Uma
Follow-up: Child having high fever. Blood test done. On crocin and meftal-p. Noticed rashes over body. Concerned 12 minutes later
Respected Dr. Uma-

I got the reports of the CBC examination.

Leukocyte count : 6.00 (Was 4.00 previously)
Platlet count : 1,77,000 (Was 2,29,000 previously)

Also we observed that he has been sleeping for around 4 hours in the noon and has also gone to bed pretty soon now. My wife observed him to be little weak today and falling down.

The other thing that I wanted to inform you is that the consulting doctor has suggested to give him extract of Papaya leaf (She mentions that it has been found to be a wonder drug to help increase the platlet count). We have given him 2.5ml of that extract a while ago.

Thank you Dr. Uma.

With Respect
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 21 minutes later
The total wbc count is improving.
Platelets are still normal.
As an Allopath,I do not use papaya leaf extract personally though there are some reports in the web.
Regarding sleeping,are you giving any antihistamine syrup which can cause drowsiness?
Secondly most of these viral fevers lead to extreme fatigue in both adults and children.Keep watching!
All the best
Dr Uma