Child having headache and breathing difficulty. Should I get a MRI scan and blood test done?

Nov 2013

My son that is 4 has complained now of head aches but its mainly when he is getting in trouble, he is a fantastic loving and caring boy but he just switches and is very difficult at times, he complains his head hurts and he can't breath propaly when he gets in trouble, but also at times his head hurts. Should I get a MRI scan and blood test just to make sure his healthy.. I worry about cancer as I know a few kids that have this and I have list a close family members chd at eight years old. I know I might be a bit over the top, but isn't it better to be save than sorry? Should I be concerned?
Posted Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that based on the symptoms, your son does not seem to have any serious brain disease.

The most common cause of his headaches could be anxiety or tension, as you have pointed out. Some children can have migraine at this age also, but the lack of vomiting or nausea is against this diagnosis.

Regarding brain tumor or cancer, I think it is unlikely with these symptoms. Again with tumors, headaches tend to be there on waking up, first thing in the morning, with feeling of nausea or vomiting, double vision, weakness, poor appetite, etc.

So, I feel, as of now, MRI is not required. But if his headaches persist or get worse, you can definitely get it done (but more for peace of your mind!).

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist