Child having headache. Should I be worried?
User rating for this question
My five year old son has been complaining of headaches recently. They are acute and appear to be very intense. He will scream and grab the top of his head. He also complains of being hot and seems desperate to "get some cool air." This typically occurs when riding in a car (although it has occurred at home, just less often). It is not related to changes in altitude. The worst of it seems to last 1-3 minutes, although the headache doesn't completely go away for up to 30 mins. Afterward, it seems like he can't think clearly, and he has even slept deeply for two hours on one occasion. I have begun keeping a headache log, but don't want to wait if this could be serious.
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Primary headache most likely Detailed Answer: Hi, Headaches are common and most often non serious in children. However we need to find the reasons for it. If there are no reasons found by the examining doctor it is termed as primary type which may include Migraine or tension headache. Your child must be having this primary type likely a migraine. However check if he had skipped meal before the onset of headache. Check if it is after games ( dehydration is very likely as they do not drink enough water). If it is intefering with the school and his learning ability please see the doctor. Nothing to worry you can give kids dose of Ibuprofen immediately. Whenever he complains let him drink cool water and eat some quick sugar, lie down in quiet and dark room for an hour or two. Hope this helps.
People also viewed
- Child having headache should i be worried
- Dizzy spells seeing black spots headache
- Should you eat before you take milk of magnesia
- Should i be worried of lump behind ear and headaches
- Headache and black wavy dots in eyes
- Excedrin before lasik surgery
- Black dots in eyes coupled with headache
- Penis goes soft before entering vagina
- Should i be worried of blurred vision and headache
- Constant black poop vomitting headaches fever
- Should we take endura mass before workouts?
- Lipo 6 black headache painkiller
- Had thunderclap headache should i be worried
- Child had head injury soreness headache should i be worried
- Lemon juice before gtt