Child having having tonsillitis. What is the alternative to zinnat antibiotics?

What is the alternative to zinnat antibiotics precribed to 8 year old having tonsillitis?
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes,amoxycyllin/clavulonate or azythromycin

Detailed Answer:

If your child is not having allergic reactions to penicillins, you can give amoxicyllin/clavulonate syrup (312.5 mg/5 ml) or tablet (375 mg), thrice daily for up to 7 days.

Another alternative is azythromycin (syr. 100 mg/5 ml) twice daily for up to 3 or 5 days according to the severity of tonsillitis.

I would also suggest to do "gargar" with water and salt to your child (1 glass of water with 2 tablespoon salt); take throat spray (herbal) and vitamin C or multivitamin together with paracetamol or ibuprofen for inflammation.

Give plenty of water (fluids) and healthy foods.
Follow-up: Child having having tonsillitis. What is the alternative to zinnat antibiotics? 5 hours later
It is not zinnat and pcm did not work I took him to the hospital and got him warded.tests conducted and was just informed that it is influenza A.i m very worried and my serious and is there a cure.googling the answers have been too complicated and it is not answering my question.they have given him an anti viral medicine.thats all I know for can I know whether this hospital is equipped to handle this and what question should I be asking the doctors?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the answer below...

Detailed Answer:

Having influenza A is another thing although it has been shown with tonsillitis.

Please understand that tonsillitis is the inflammation of tonsils. There are many factors causing it:

- bacteria (for which antibiotics like zinnat, penicillins, azythromycin are prescribed);

- viral for which anti-virals are used,

- fungus (candida, etc., for which antimycotic are prescribed)

The determination is done after a throat swab culture, culture of blood or spinal fluid.

In cases of influenza A of your child, it is caused by a virus, that's why your doctor has put him on antivirals.

Do not worry, influenza is also called as "flu", and commonly infect many people, where children (with low immunity) are more susceptible. The disease is not serious until complications would arise.

Usually, it takes up to 7 or 10 days for the symptoms to disappear and the patients gets better again. In some individuals (like your child) would take more.

Normally, I recommend my patients to drink lots of fluids (water in particular), oral rehydration salts (to replace the lost electrolytes during fever); paracetamol or ibuprofen to reduce fever and inflammation.

Anti-virals are prescribed in special cases as in your child's case to reduce the time of recovery and avoid further complications.

Please have patience, as your child was given anti-viral he will be ok in a couple of days.

Hope fast recovery to your child. If you have any other concern, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Follow-up: Child having having tonsillitis. What is the alternative to zinnat antibiotics? 2 days later son has been discharged.the diagnosis was influenza virus not influenza A as I was told earlier.he is now well and now under antibiotics called question. What is this ceftibuten for what s the differences between this and zinnat and is it used to treat viral infection or bacteria infection?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Both Zinnat and Ceftibuten are cephalosporins...

Detailed Answer:

Both Zinnat and Ceftibuten are antibiotics, used to treat bacterial infections and are both of cephalosporins group of drugs.

Zinnat is the trade name for Cefuroxim; while Ceftibuten is the generic name of this cephalosporin.

They both work by killing the bacteria and can be used when viral infections are complicated with bacterial infection of throat, angina, ear, pharyngitis, etc. That's why I believe doctors have put your son under ceftibuten therapy.

With regards to differences, when the susceptibility testing is done; then, the doctor would decide to use one of these antibiotics for better results.

However, sometimes, doctors start using one specific antibiotic straight away; if no results, then, can change therapy for the most appropriate one with less chances for allergic reactions and less side effects.

Hope it answered to your inquiry!