Child having gap in between teeth, noticed a notches on them. Should I be worried?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Question
my one year and one month old baby boy has 4 upper teeth and four lower teeth...i have noticed a gap between his upper incisors since the time they have erupted and for the past few days i have noticed notches on them...am worried...what can be the cause?...i hope it is not hutchinson's teeth!!
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 19 minutes later
Are you using pacifiers for your child?
Milk dentition can be affected by pacifiers.
Why on earth should you think about Hutchinson's teeth???!!!
With more awareness and early antibiotic use syphilis and its sequele are out of vogue now!

Nothing will be done in this early age, but you can get an opinion from a pedodontist.
Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma

Follow-up: Child having gap in between teeth, noticed a notches on them. Should I be worried? 25 hours later
thanks for your reply..he is not given any pacifier...like any other child of his age , even he keeps putting anything he gets in his mouth..but then not every child gets teeth like him...n that particular disease i referred to because net shows only that as an answer!! please answer...

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 12 hours later
Yes it s common for kids to put anything in the mouth and that will not cause this type of teething.
Teething ,gap between incisors,etc have some familial basis also.
Milk teeth which will fall down and then when permanent teeth come only ,one can think of correcting .

Why I was concerned with hutshison's is because it is part of congenital syphilis!!

There is a speciality called pedodontist- pediatric dentist - kindly consult one who is nearer to you.
Personally I do not think you should worry about this ( also you say pacifier is not used !)
Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma

Follow-up: Child having gap in between teeth, noticed a notches on them. Should I be worried? 9 hours later
thanks again..there is florosis teeth in d mother of the child...but that is very mild one...mother's teeth look like 'broken rice'shaded...would u suggest giving calcarea phos biochemic/homoeopathic pills to the child as everybody these days gives it to their kids for easy teething...

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 41 minutes later
As an allopathic doctor, I can not comment on homeopathic medicines!
But I can definitely tell you pl do not interfere with natural processes .
Teething is a natural process and will be automatically taken care of by the kid's system.

Dr Uma