Child having frequent urination problem. Took homoeopathic medication. Still having problem. What could be the root cause?

General Surgeon
My son who is now 6 years 10 months developed frequent urination problem in April'13. He used to urinate every 15 minutes in very small quantity. I took him to a pediatrician who prescribed antibiotics for possible unrinary infection. Even after that, there was no respite. So put him under homeopathic medication which showed lot of improvements. I thought it was cured but it started again after 3 months and again subsided after homeopathy. No again he has developed the same problem after 2 month. This time the quanity of the urine is slightly more from time to time. Please advise on this root cause. Should we conduct any test for diabetis? How risky is this condition for the child? There is no fever or other abnormalities.
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound of abdomen and Voiding Cysto-Urethrogra

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

I being a Pediatric Surgeon, encounter innumerable number of diabetes Mellitus, taking into account his age and above symptoms you have described above.

As your child is having recurrent Urinary tract infection( uncomplicated because of absence of fever), I would like to rule out anatomical and / or functional urinary tract abnormality.

To arrive at accurate diagnosis and to plan further management I would advise you to get the following tests done

1. Ultrasound of kidney, ureter and bladder - To look for anatomical abnormality
2. Voiding Cysto-Urethrogram( after the present urinary infection is cleared) will also be required to rule out Posterior Urethral valve and Vesico-ureteric reflux.
3. Urine Culture and Sensitivity

Let the child be on low dose chemo prophylaxis with antibiotic like Cefixime.

Further management can only be decided after getting the reports of the above tests.

If the above test are normal and no pathology is found, I would advise for Circumcision. It will prevent further urinary tract infection.

Rest be assured everything can be taken care, as it seems to be uncomplicated Urinary tract infection as there is no Fever.

I hope the issues and your doubts are clarified. Current problem of your child is a routine Pediatric complaints we often see. I am sure your son will soon recover with proper care and intervention at right time.
Wishing your child a speedy recovery .

Best Regards
Dr Deepak Kishore Kaltari
Consultant Pediatric & Neonatal Surgeon

Follow-up: Child having frequent urination problem. Took homoeopathic medication. Still having problem. What could be the root cause? 3 days later

Thank you for your advise. We have not been unable to conduct Ultra Sound and Voiding Cyst Urethrogram. In fact, the latter is not available in any of the nearby diagnostics centers and would require me to visit a full fledged hospital.

However, as prescribed by a consulting pediatrician, we carried out the blood/ urine test which is enclosed for your reference. I will also conduct an ultrasound soon. There is no medication prescribed till now. Kindly advise the condition based on these attached reports.

Thanking you.

Ronendro XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reports are normal

Detailed Answer:
Greetings of the day

The attached reports are normal. All the enclosed blood and urine reports are normal. It signifies that there is presently no Pediatric Surgery available.

I wish your child good health.
Dr Deepak Kaltari