Child having frequent unconsciousness. Nil observation shown in EEG and CT scan. Taking propranol and lamotrigine. Suggest the cure?

Hi My 13 year old son is having frequent unconsciousness since last 3 weeks. His EEG & CT SCAN also carried out with nil observation. He is taking PROPRANOL & LAMOTRIGINE. In spite of medications he continude to become unconscious all most 3 times a day. PLEASE HELP
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX .

Well looking into your problem I can see that your son gets recurrent attacks of unconsciousness 3 times a day despite on lamotrigine intake which is very strange .

See this is very tricky situation it will be difficult to point one thing out but still we can discuss the possibilities . It is not always possible to get abnormalities in EEG or CT scan in epilepsy patients . I think his treating doctor should consider getting 24 hour EEG monitoring done .

Plus cardiac evaluation is also required . He is on propranolol for migraine I guess but sometimes it leads to bradycardia that is low heart rate which can lead to unconsciousness so that needs to be excluded .

Table tilt test should also be done to rule out syncope as it can be a mimic of epilepsy .

Dr. Shruti