Child having frequent cough, cold, fever and taking medication. Advised to take Molev since chest and nose was unclear. Any side effects?

Feb 2013

Hi Doctor,

I stay in Pune.
My son is 2.5 years old. He is having frequent (once in 1.5-2 months) cough, cold and fever since last 1 year.
Normally Fever goes away in 2 days giving him Magadol syrup 3.5 ml. But cough and cold remains for at least a week or even sometimes more than that. This time started with dry cough and then fever and then cold with cough. Doctor prescribed him Magadol for fever, Levolin for cough and Asapan(dont remember exactly) for allergy. After a week, cough is gone but seems like his chest and nose are still not clear. I took him again to the doctor yesterday and he prescribed Molev 5 ml for a month and Algee for 5 days. I just wanted to know if it has any side effects and what precautions should I take to avoid these in future, Also, please suggest can I give him things like curd, banana and juice on regular basis as he is very fond of these specially curd but I get afraid as it might be the cause for cold. your opinion is really important to me, Thanks in advance,
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly send the generic drug names of Molev, Algee

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I went through through your son's medical history of frequent cold and cough.

Before advising about the safety and any side effects of Molev and Algee, I request you to send the drug names of these medication which will be written on the bottles.

Precautions to prevent the frequent episodes of cold, cough, and fever are:

1. Prevent the child exposure to general allergens like dust, smoke, plants, pollen,
pet animals, perfumes, and sprays.

2. Avoid giving cool drinks, cold water, sweets, and chocolates.

3. Take precautions like putting full clothes in cold weather to protect the child from
cold air.

4. Dont take the child to crowded places. Prevent exposing the child to people with
cold and cough.

5. Make his hands clean and hygienic by washing them at regular intervals.

6. Give all recommended vaccines as per the advice of pediatrician.

You can give him curd, banana, and juices on regular basis.

But you observe for allergic symptoms like cold, cough, watering from eyes, or rash on body after giving any food, fruit, or drink. If the child develops any allergic symptoms consistently after giving any new food or variety of food then avoid it.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. And kindly send the drugs details I have asked.

Best regards.