Child having fractured skull. X-ray shows fractures, CT scan does not show bleeding or internal swelling. Safe to fly in aircraft?

My son... 6 mo old fractured his skull last Tuesday. We had a X-ray showing the fractures and a CT scan which came back negative for bleeding/internal swelling. He is neurologically ok and acting very normal (eating/sleeping, etc). We are scheduled to fly to California (from NYC) this Wednesday. Wondering if it is ok for him to fly with the skull fractures?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

You have provided me with good information.

Your six years old son had recent skull fracture with no internal bleeding and neurological deficit. It is good to hear that he is doing fine.

Individuals with recent skull fractures are susceptible to increased swelling and pressure (with serious implications) that can be triggered by cabin pressure changes.

Most dangers arise while flying due to the reduced cabin air pressure, the lower oxygen content of the air, the motion of the plane, dehydration, the stress of traveling and the low availability of medical treatment should something go wrong.

It is better to avoid flying for few months. Also you need to consult your treating physician regarding this issue. It is better to be on the safer side since he is too young.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.