Child having flaky and clay coloured stool. Is it due to infection?

Keeping 4year old granddaughter and noticed stool was flaky, clay color. Said she didn't feel good, tummy sore. Sleeping now and has clamminess to her forehead Temp 96.2 ear
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: gut infection likely Detailed Answer: Hi there Flaky clay stools can be seen in constipation or malabsorption or jaundice and rarely infection. A stool test may help clarify presence of mucus that may suggest colitis. I am more worried about weakness and clamminess. Feeling cold or dehydrated can cause such weakness. Tummy sore does suggest some infection. Its wiser to visit an emergency department as seriousness of clamminess is not easy to understand in small kids. Ensuring proper intake is very important to stop her from worsening. I hope this helps you understand the issue. Do let me know if any further queries.