Child having fever, sore throat, upset tummy and cold symptoms. What cure should be done?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My 8 year old son has had the following symptons for 7 days, very high temperature, cold symptons, sore throat, tummy upset and no appetite very pale, lathargic
Posted Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Your son seems to be suffering from a Viral infection most probably .
However since its been already 7 days and there is no improvement in his condition you need to get him evaluated by a pediatrician for confirmation of the diagnosis and starting antibiotic treatment if required( as per assessment ).
Meanwhile you can try the following for some relief,
1. Warm salt water gargles and steam inhalations thrice daily for relief from Antiinflammatory antipyretic like Acetaminophen ( 10 mg/kg/ dose) thrice daily for the fever
3. Probiotics ( like lactobacillus , enterogermina etc) twice daily for tummy upset.
4. Zinc logenzes or supplements ( containing 20 mg of zinc ) daily for a week.
5. If the congestion and cough persist decongestant antihistamine like chlorpeniramine and antibiotics ( Cefixime , azithromycin ) etc should be taken as per your doctors prescription .

Plenty of fluids ( oral rehydration solution preferred ) will be very much helpful in faster recovery .
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.