Child having fever, pain in back, hand and lower abdomen. Should I go for medical treatment?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
In a 5 year old girl we had a week of slightly raised temperature and slight pain on the right hand side lower abdomen and round towards her back in the same area. She was given antibiotics as a precaution. Now her temperature seems normal but she has puffing and a noticeable black ring under her left eye and her lower body pain is still there, but not bad enough to stop her moving around. Should we have this investigated?
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Considering the details you have provided the most probable causes could be An intraabdominal infection like an abscess or intestinal inflammation ( appendicitis etc)or even renal pathology ( since the area of pain overlies the kidneys) .
Though minor viral or bacterial infections with liver or kidney affection could also be a possibility and might be cured with antibiotics and supportive therapy easily but in that case the pain should have subsided and no new symptoms should have developed .
Since she is still not symptom free it's possible that the underlying condition remains undiagnosed or partially treated.

Yes in my opinion it's best to get it investigated atleast an abdominal ultrasound , a blood count and urine routine test would be indicated to rule out any such above mentioned pathologies .
So please consult her doctor and do discuss regarding baseline investigations done as soon as feasible .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my reply in case you have no further queries.
Wishing her a speedy recovery.