Child having fever, cough and stomach pain. Prescribed with dolopar syrup and erox. Right medication?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

My girl child is about 4.5 year old, last Sunday on 26th October after noon she got sudden fever and then mild cough. On Saturday night we had been a temple where little drizzling of rain was where she was little wet apart from that my wife and myself had cough which was cured however. May be because of this she got the fever and cough, along with she complained about stomach pain. On Friday I had given her no worm syrup as single does as it as almost 8 months since we gave her the worm medicine. We just suspect if this could be the cause for her to get fever.

Immediately I have gave her Crocin DS and Zedex P for cough then I took her to Doctor on Monday. Doctor suggested to give 1) Dolopar Syrup [5ml 3 times], Erox CV antibotic [5ml 3 times.] then he asked to continue Zedex P and told to give Cyclopam for stomach pain if any.

Then fever came down but she had irritating cough for the night, almost for 2 days she had cough and night she could not sleep properly. Tuesday morning her body was too hot, she simply slept and was not active. We went to doctor again, he told to continue all the medicine and asked to give Soventus Jr. [5ml twice]

But again she had lot of irriting cough even on Wednesday and Thursday she could not sleep. Fever was coming down during the day but when she starts cough she was geting fever.

Friday we went to doctor again and asked him what to do, he said due to cough she is getting fever and nothing to worry and asked to continue "Erox CV" for another 3 days and asked to give Meftal P for fever and then told to continue with Soventus Jr. for 5 days. He also told to give Dolopar/Crocin and see if the fever comes down if it does not then give Meftal.

Friday night I have her the medicine, give her Crocin DS and other medicine, yesterday night also she had cough but not the intensity was little less and she slept a little. Fever was not there in the night. But again in the morning her body was too hot and she refused to get up and wanted sleep. I then gave her Meftal P 5 ml and she slept till 11 AM and she had little sweating.

Now she seems to be normal and she took little food and active, however she has cough. Now my question is that when we give her Meftal P her fever gets controlled without any doubt, this I have seen even in the past. Now that she does not have fever but has cough, should I give her another does of Meftal along with other Erox CV and Soventus Jr in the night? Or I should give her Dolopar syrup for fever? [Our doctor has prescribed Meftal P 5ml 3 times]

Also your best tip for irritating cough during the night, I use Vicks on her chest and back and also give little steam while sleeping but still she gets irritating cough.

Thank you in advance.
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do not give meftal without high fever

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to healthcare magic.
You need not give meftal without her getting high fever , paracetamol ie Doloper is safe and better for mild to moderate fever.
As your doc has recommended, I would advice you to give her cough syrups and complete antibiotic course.
Sometimes post infection cough may take a week or so before going off completely.
So be patient and you can continue with cough syrup once the antibiotic course is over.
However if fever recurs I would generally advice my patients xray to rule out pneumonia
Wishing your kid speedy recovery.
RegardsDr Arun
Follow-up: Child having fever, cough and stomach pain. Prescribed with dolopar syrup and erox. Right medication? 3 hours later
Thank you sir for your answer.

But as I told our doctor has recommended Meftal, also today afternoon she become little dull again and there seems to be light fever. Based on our doctor prescription I have her Meftal 5 ml again and she slept till 5.30 evening.

After she got up, she is fine and active. The fever when checked today after was about 102 with our electronic thermometer checked under armpit for approximately 1 minute.

As regards your advice on Xray for Pneumonia, I should wait for my doctor to take up necessary advice is that right? Also, when doctor checks personally by examining on chest and eyes he will understand if there is any problem right?

I am just worried when you said Pneumonia, should I ask my doctor to take necessary steps?

One more question, is it ok if I give some home made syrup like Kashaya and other hot beverage along with Tulsi and Honey? Or Is it ok to give her some Ayurvedic syrup like Bresol and Koflet of Himalaya along with her medicines?
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs further evaluation soon

Detailed Answer:
As I had pointed out with recurring fever its better to get him re examined sooner and get Xray and blood tests for fever.
Meanwhile you can give meftal as per your doc if fever is very high.
Dr Arun
Follow-up: Child having fever, cough and stomach pain. Prescribed with dolopar syrup and erox. Right medication? 1 hour later
Thanks again.

Yes, as per our doctor prescription and based on your advice, I would continue the medicine for couple of days and then shall consult the doctor if the Fever still continues.

However, I have couple of more question which would be helpful for me to handle this.

1) She does not take any food, she refuses the food whenever she becomes ill. However, she takes ORS XXXXXXX or Orange. Is it fine to give her just ORS and then medicine?

2) One more thing about her motion habits when she becomes ill, on Sunday she had passed motion but then till Thursday she did not, Thursday she passed which was normal. Again till today she has not passed motion, will that be fine.?

3) Also, as I had requested what would be best tip to make sleep better without much irritation of cough during night.?

Your advice in this regard would be quite helpful.
Answered by Dr. Arun 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
see below

Detailed Answer:
1) you can give ors and medicine
2) that's not a problem, you can wait for stools
3) can try phenergan syrup 3ml to make her sleep better in night apart from your medicines which you can give along with.
Dr Arun