Child having fever and back pain after falling from bed, swollen spot on the back. Is it serious?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
My son is 5 years old . On night from Saturday to Sunday he fell of his bed. Today ( Monday ) he got fever(101.5), started complain about back pain . There is swollen spot on his beck close to a spine. He sad that it hurts when he laid down, reach up , when I touch his back or when I ask him to touch his chin to his chest . He is not miserable.
Is this something serious?
Should I take him to emergency room or can I wait and take him to his pediatrician tomorrow

Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later

Thanks for Posting your query

Firstly it is Thursday here in India - Your history says it is Monday There ? [Your Today is Monday]

The history you provided is suggestive of a blunt injury
If he had fallen on the side where there is a swelling there are chances that he would have developed a hematoma [Bleeding In layer below the skin of the back or a small tear in the fibres of the muscle leading to the swelling]

There are remote chances that the collected blood has got infected and that has resulted in the temperature and pain to touch[Tender]

If the skin over the swelling is Red/Tensed/ and/or Hot ,I would recommend It would be better if you can take hime to an emergency room

Get a CBC done, A High Resolution Sonography and as per the reports and clinical examination start treatment

Hope I have answered all your queries, in case you need any clarification write back

wishing your son a speedy recovery.