Child having fever. What remedy should be done?

Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
My 9 months old baby girl has fever 100.5 F. What remedy should I take as I feel it is because of teething. Regards, XXXXXX
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Growth and Development in Children

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 41 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I presume that your daughter is having fever for the past one day. Is it associated with any other symptoms?

To bring down the temperature you can give Syrup paracetamol (Calpol/Crocin) 2.5 ml. every 4-6 hours if the temperature is above 99.0F by side.

Fever does not occur because of teething. Children tend to put all sorts of thing in their mouth which can give rise to infection either of the upper respiratory tract or the gastrointestinal tract.

I presume that I have answered the query to your satisfaction. You are welcome to revert back if any clarification is required.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.

RKK

Follow-up: Child having fever. What remedy should be done? 25 hours later
With regards to the symptoms, she is crying often and feeling like disturbed. Her breathing rate has also gone up significantly. She is passing urine after a gap of more than 3 hours and that too very little.

Please advise suitably.

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 6 hours later

Thanks for updating your query.

What is the temperature pattern? What has been the effect of paracetamol - have you tried it?

Fever does make an individual irritable and slightly faster respiration. However if the breathing rate is more than 30-40/min, then she needs to be shown to a doctor.

Because of fever there is more insensible loss of water through the skin and breath, so an individual passes lesser amount of urine than normal. It is advised to give your daughter frequent small quantities of liquids.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Please feel free to revert back for any clarifications that you may have.

Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery...

RKK

Follow-up: Child having fever. What remedy should be done? 11 hours later
Her temperature is moving around 100 F. I have tried giving her crocin, but seems no result as such. Her forehead is warm but whole body is normal. Also, please advise if cerelac can be given at this point of time ? or any other diet you would recommend her. Regards.

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 30 minutes later

Thanks for updating the condition on your daughter.

Paracetamol (Crocin) will reduce the temperature but will not bring it back to normal. Forehead always remains warmer than the body.

Your daughter can be given Cerelac along with other items which she gets. Nutrition should not be stopped in fever.

You have not updated me on the respiratory rate/condition.

If there is no improvement then I suggest that you get your daughter examined by her paediatrician who will examine her and investigate, if required.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Please revert back for any clarification that you may require.

RKK