Child having fever. Not cured by paracetamol and crocin drops. Looking for cure

Pediatrician, Cardiology
My one year old son is having 101 and 102 fever since 24 hours now.
have tried paracetamol, crocin drops but fever is only down temporarily for an hour or so and it rises again. doctor advised antibiotic amoxycillin but baby isnt having anything solid other than my breastfeed. baby has cough too. vomits if i try any medicine. please help
he is sleeping right now but wakes up with some murmur after every hour, i am trying to make him comfortable
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
It seems that your son is suffering from upper respiratory tract infection. You can give paracetamol 6 hourly to bring down the temperature. Also do tepid sponging. If he is still running fever, then you can see a local physician and get Meftal-P syrup prescribed. For the vomiting, he needs to be given domperidone syrup. This also needs to be prescribed. After that you can give the Amoxycillin syrup. Continue breast feeding. But if fever persists and your child is finding it difficult to feed/continuous vomiting then consult your doctor for proper clinical evaluation and management.
I hope this answers your query well
Wish you and your family good health
With regards
Follow-up: Child having fever. Not cured by paracetamol and crocin drops. Looking for cure 16 hours later
Thanks Doctor.
We have started Amoxycillin syrup 5 ml twice a day now along with paracetamol syrup. I wanted to know if we should be giving him Citrizine syrup too?
also, he does cough still but only occasionally and no vomitting observed since morning today. Last night was dreadful !
His fever is around 99 or 100 now and he is playing and active, eating lil bit too but majorly breastfeeding.

Just had a major concern that although it seems to be viral fever, hope this medicine is safe just in case this doesn't turn out to be dengue which i doubt.
Please suggest.

Thanks for following me up.

Good to know that your son is doing well. No need to give cetrizine syp, as cough is occasional. Just continue with Amoxycillin.
Use domperidone and Paracetamol (as and when needed).

Dengue infection is uncommon in this age group, but you cannot rule out the possibility. So be watchful for pattern of fever, any rashes, bleeding from any site, and swelling of body or decreased urine output.

If you notice any of these then immediately consult your physician.

Do not use any antipyretic other than paracetamol. Do tepid sponging as mentioned previously to bring down the temperature.

Wish him good health.