Child having dark cloudy and oily urine. Due to the diet?

Infertility Specialist
What makes my 4 year old son's urine look cloudy and oily once in a while? In the past six weeks i have noticed it about 3 times. I can see it when he has used his little plastic potty and I discover it after it's been sitting there for a bit. When I dump it in the toilet it's not perceptible.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later

Urine can become cloudy & oily for several reasons. The colour can also vary. If urine becomes cloudy, it may be a concern, it may not. Cloudy urine can be perfectly harmless. A simple way to find out is to go to your doctor give your child's urine for examination under microscope followed by culture & sensitivity. Accompanying symptoms would be more worrying and not to be ignored if there are any.

Phosphates in the urine can cause it to appear cloudy. Phosphate crystals can build up which are totally harmless and without symptoms. It may be related to the amount or type of food that has been eaten.

Pus in the urine can also make the urine cloudy & oily. Pus would indicate a urine infection. Blood may also give urine a cloudy appearance, which would also indicate a take a visit to your doctor & get urine tested as I mentioned above.

I hope I answered your query. Please accept my answer if no more queries.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Child having dark cloudy and oily urine. Due to the diet? 2 hours later
Thank you very much. It does not look bloody but I will have our doctor check his urine at our appointment in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, can you tell me any certain foods that might be making this happen? I read that lots of milk can have an effect, but my son never drinks milk. When I say the urine is cloudy, it's not white-looking at all, but it's just not clear. It's almost like there are tiny solids floating around in it. Pardon the metaphor but it looks a bit like miso soup after you stir it up. Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back

- It does not exactly look bloody (red) colour. If it is an old bleeding, it will Change to lighter colour. It appears cloudy as you have described.

-There is no correlation to food or milk. There are myths surrounding this.

- You can get the urine examined before doctor's appointment if possible. You can go with the urine report to doctor's appointment which will make the doctor easier to diagnose the condition and treat.

Regards,Dr.Mahesh Koregol