Child having constipation after taking antibiotics. What to do?

Good

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
My son is 7yrs old and has been on antibiotics for 7 days for a wound that didn't heal properly. Since the antibiotic he's had 1 bowel movement. It's now going to be 4-5 days he has not had a bowel movement. What should I do? He hasn't complained about stomach pain and his belly is nor swnsitice to touch- he does have a aubstantial amt of very amelly gas. An enema? Doctor? When should I be concerned?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

What is the antibiotic he is getting ?

If he is on regular diet and not complaining of any abdominal discomfort I would like to examine him below and see if there is stool in rectum

Depending on the consistency of stool I would go for enema, suppository or a laxative

Give him plenty of fluids

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries
If there are no further doubts, do accept this reply and rate it

Wishing Your Son A Speedy Recovery

Follow-up: Child having constipation after taking antibiotics. What to do? 3 hours later
How would you examine him? He's in school now. He's taking an antibiotic called
SMZ-TMP
He's taking it 3tsp by mouth twice daily for 10 days
He has 2 more days.
He asked for breakfast this morning. I gave him whole grain crackers and of course the water the antibiotics require. I have contacted my pediatrician.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 4 hours later
HI

Thanks for your followup

Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim usually does not cause constipation and that to this extent

I would suggest you get him examined by you pediatrician and treat him as mentioned in my previous reply

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries

Wishing Your Son A Speedy Recovery