Child having cold, cough and ear pain. Noticed smelly stuff coming from ear. What should be done?

ENT Specialist
Two weeks ago my 4 year old had a cough and cold, she was complaining of ear pain. I looked in her ear and there was white stuff in it. I check with a pharmacy and he felt around her ear and said it was ok, just viral, however two weeks on there is no pain but white smelly stuff and wax is still coming from her ear. Do I need to do something or will it just clear up, I dont want her hearing to be affected
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 2 hours later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon

On the basis of the information provided it appears that your kid had viral throat. The function of this tube is to equalise the air pressure on both sides of ear drum. Viral URI can cause blockade of the this tube thus causing pain in ear due to retraction of ear drum (due to negative air pressure secondary to tubal blockade). It may even lead to the infection of the ear causing pus formation in ear (if it converts into bacterial infection).

Another reason of the this could be otitis externa (infection of the external ear canal).

To get on to the right diagnosis it is advisable to consult a ENT surgeon. Examination of ear under microscope for suction of the debris in ear canal and examination of tympanic membrane will be required

I hope this answers your concerns.
Feel free to contact me if you require more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma