Child having cold and cough. What medication should be given?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Hi, My 1.5 year old daughter has just developed cold ( running nose). Her nose is not blocked at the moment. I wanted to check which medicine should i give her and what dosage. She has had piriton cs or relent in the past. She does not have any cough. I have already started giving her steam inhalation. Please let me know at the earliest. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later
For your child with only running nose, any anti histamine syrup like cetrizine is better.
You can give 2.5 ml twice a day.
Piriton is a cough syrup for dry cough and relent has cetrizine plus ambroxol( something to dissolve the phlegm.)
If you need for the night urgent, you can give relent 1 dose till you buy plain cetrizine in the morning.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma