Child having cold and cough. Took X-ray. What does the report says?

Feb 2013

Hi Doctor, My 21 months old son is having cold and cough from past 2 weeks, today we took X-RAY. We found in the report symptoms of "BILATERAL PARA HILAR PATCHY PNEUMONITIS". Please advice what should be the treatment required for my son. Now we are giving tricold syrup 3ml thrice a day and advent dry syrup 4 ml twice a day.
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
intravenous antibiotics preferred.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Bilateral parahilar patchy pneumonitis on chest X XXXXXXX is suggestive of infection of the lungs. But this finding has to be correlated clinically by his pediatrician.

Intravenous antibiotics are better in treating lung infection in children.

Is the child having fever or fast respiration at present? Please send these details in your follow up query.

If the child is having danger signs like hurried breathing, toxic look, high grade fever, or bluish discoloration of lips or fingers, he needs hospitalization for intravenous antibiotics, oxygen inhalation, and for monitoring.

Therefore I suggest you to consult the pediatrician to correlate the report with the child clinical symptoms and signs and to suggest proper treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Follow-up: Child having cold and cough. Took X-ray. What does the report says? 32 minutes later
Hi Doctor, I have attached the X-RAY of my son, Please review it. His respiration is normal. He is having fever only at evening time then we are giving him paracetmol syrup. He is playing actively no respiration problems. We did blood test. No abnormalities found in blood test reports and URINE test report. Please advice us.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue drugs as prescribed and be in follow up.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back.

I went through the X XXXXXXX films attached with this query. They are looking okay but these films have to be read in correlation with the child symptoms and signs.

His lungs to be auscultated by the pediatrician to look for any abnormal sounds which are suggestive of infection.

If the respirations are normal, child is active, and playful you can continue the oral antibiotic-Advent and paracetamol as prescribed by the doctor.

For cough, you can give a cough syrup with an expectorant with prescription from the doctor.

And be in regular follow up with the pediatrician to assess the child respiratory system and general condition till fever subsides completely.

Wish your child speedy recovery and good health.