Child having cold and cough. Not cured by sporidex, servil Jr and omnacortil. Any home treatment?

Hi, I am XXXXXX from Calcutta, India. My 4 month old daughter is having cold and cough since last 5 days. We have consulted doctor and giving Sporidex, Servil Jr and Omnacortil since yesterday but nothing has improved. Doc says needs admission. Please guide anything can be done at home.
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 21 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
If your doctor is of the opinion to admit means the child must be quite sick.
You should follow the advise as such, if you want to admit later then you should switch the medicines to
Maxtra-P paediatric drops, give 0.3ml every 6hours and
syrup Azithromycin 50 mg OD into 3days.
Get the maxtra that is clears as water, not the syrup that is pink.
If the child gets rapid breathing and bluish lips etc, then you should urgently admit her to hospital..
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!
Follow-up: Child having cold and cough. Not cured by sporidex, servil Jr and omnacortil. Any home treatment? 1 hour later
Thanks for the reply.

However, my daughter does not have rapid breathing or bluish lips. She is presently quite play full. However, consistent cough, intermittent sneezing and nose congestion is bothering her. Not having fever. She is taking regular breast feeds and supplements (Lactodex 1) although the quantum of consumption has decreased.

Doc has diagnosed chest congestion and bit of spasm. Hence has advised admission if the situation worsens.

My query is : Is there any supportive ways or means to get relief of congestion at home other further to the medications presently administered.

My elder daughter had suffered pneumonia at age of 2 wherein she had to be admitted for nebulisation. I am trying to avoid such a scenario. Can nebulisation be done at home ? Does it require expert medical supervision (like hospital) ?

Please advice.
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 52 minutes later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
The last thing first!
The nebulisation is given with an equipment called nebuliser and can be given at home for chronic problems.
In your kids case it should not be used because-
she is too young to take it at home and can develop toxicity if given without supervision.
Her problem is acute not chronic one.
I think she would improve in 2-3 days time with the suggested medications in previous answer. She does not seem to require hospitalisation, start the medicines under the supervision of local clinician. Mayta tatri bhalo hoy jaabe!
Wish you a great health!