Child having bump at the back of head. Trickle of blood coming from nose. Should I be concerned?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
My 3yr old daughter fell off the bed and bumped the back of her head. She cried for awhile and I didn't feel any bump. She seemed fine, playing outside riding a scooter with her sisters and eating dinner. About three hours later from the time of the bump she had a trickle of blood come out of her nose, only one nostril. I wiped it clean and that was it. She then had a bath, played etc. ate a snack and then went off the bed at normal bed time and after out normal routine. She seems Absolutley fine but the blood from the nose worries me. I'm planning on waking her in an hour to check on her but I'm very concerned.
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
If there was no loss of conciousness, nausea,vomiting,headache, loss of balance or drowsiness, I dont think you should be worried. I dont think that nose bleeding is associated to this injury and it may be caused by nose scratching or it can start spontaneously. However, if you want to be sure you can visit ENT or do xray head exam,but I dont think this is necessary at this point. YOu should just press her nose and lean forward for 1-2 minutes after you notice bleeding. If she has some of these symptoms or nose bleeding persists, you should visit doctors. Wish you good health. Regards