Child having bruising all over body and red marks around eyes. Having thrombocytopenia. Underlying causes??

my son has noted over the past several weeks he is having more bruising or ecchymosis all over his body after coughing this morning he noticed tiny red marks all around his eyes . my son has thrombocytopenia. what is the blood disorder and what does plasma red blood cells and platelets have to do with this what is the cause of this disorder
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reduction in platelets.Consult doctor early.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing here.

Throbocytopenia means reduced number of platelets.

There are 3 type of blood cells,red,white and platelets.

Platelets are associated with controlling bleeding.

It plays important role in formation of clot and preventing blood loss after any injury.

Decrease in platelets leads to increased fragility of blood vessles leading to bruising and petichiae.

Sometimes bleeding can be XXXXXXX leading to complications.

Throbocytopenia can be due to viral and bacterial infections,drug induced (salicylates,Nsaids) etc

Idiopathic throbocytopenic purpura is a condition where body destroys its own platelates.

A detailed work up is needed to find out the exact cause.

It will be better to consult doctor as early as possible since at times it can be emergency.

I hope this will solve your query.In case you have any concerns I will be happy to help you.
Follow-up: Child having bruising all over body and red marks around eyes. Having thrombocytopenia. Underlying causes?? 19 minutes later
is this disease preventable in the future and if not explain why not
Brief Answer:
Finding out undelying cause is important.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up.

Throbocytopenia as such is not a disease.

It is a important blood related parameter to find out underlying cause.

Once the cause is corrected platelets will be increased.

Viral and bacterial infections can be treated easily and throbocytopenia recovers very fast in such cases.

In case it is drug related it will be important to avoid the culprit drug in future or it may lead to recurrence.

The only case where thrombocytopenia occurs frequently is in I.T.P.It is an autoimmune disease and requires prolonged treatment with steroids and other drugs.

In summary if underlying cause is corrected throbocytopenia will not recur.

Hope this will help you.Take care.