Child having breathing problems and prescribed with montair granules. Having ezcema problems from birth. On antibiotics. Cure?

Jun 2015

Hi My son is now 3yrs and 4months, he got admitted to hospital with some breathing problems at the age of 1yr 5months, doctors treated him on time, at the same time suggested me to give him Montair granules for 3 mnths, My doctor did not inform me that my kid has asthma problems. However since he was small i could manage to give me this only for 20 days and then stopped it. He would not take this medicine at all. He has ezcema problems from birth till now. I had asked doctors advise for allergy test he denied since he is small. After 2 yrs of giving him nebuliser every month for his wheezing problems, i have come to know that ezcema and wheezing is co -related. We are living in Kuwait and he is mostly on nebulizer and antiobiotics,But whenever we visit India, he is absolutely fine with his cough and wheezing.We do not use nebulizer for his cold and cough treatments nor does he have breathing problems.But he does have ezcema on his face but not worst like in kuwait.
Please advise me what medication is good for him and do i hv to continue with montair granules again and for longer time. Or moving to India would be a better option since Kuwait has dusty climate throughout the year.
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Moving to India is a better option

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Asthma is caused due to broncho-constriction (obstruction of smaller airway passages) which is indicative of Hyper-responsiveness of air passages.
And you are correct regarding the fact that ezcema and wheezing is co -related.

Management consists of:

1. Asthalin inhaler/ Nebulization- provide symptomatic relief by causing broncho-dilation (dilating the smaller airway passages, relieving the obstruction & increasing airflow to lungs)
So, you can use it whenever he is having an acute attack.

2. Montelukast preparations (Montair granules)- used as a maintenance therapy to relieve symptoms of asthma.

3. Antihistamines can also be used to provide symptomatic relief.

4. Symptoms aggravate in the presence of a superimposed respiratory tract infection, which needs to be managed with antibiotics.

4. Also make sure that your child is well protected from exposure to cold, dust & other allergens.

Since, asthma is due to body's immune mechanism, the treatment & protective measures has to be continued.

In your post, you have mentioned that his symptoms are absent when he is in India.
Under such conditions, the symptoms can be attributed to the environmental conditions prevalent in Kuwait & moving to India would be a better option.
As long as you are in Kuwait, kindly continue the medications as prescribed by the treating Doctor.

Wishing your child a good health.
Please let me know if I need to clarify further.
Follow-up: Child having breathing problems and prescribed with montair granules. Having ezcema problems from birth. On antibiotics. Cure? 8 hours later
Thanks Dr. Polash for you answer.

You are correct these are the medications we have been advised here. Secondly do you suggest that giving Montair for certain period of time can relieve his symptoms of asthma ie he may not need nebulizer on regular basis and also control his ezcema. I am worried since he will be joining school soon will this be a part of his life. And it may further affect his physical activities.

However, the doctors also suggested by age of 5 yrs he should be normal, I doubt on them. If asthma is due to body's immune mechanism,(till now his immune is low) will he develop by age of 5 yrs after regular medicines as above. Antibiotics slows down the immune system correct me if I am wrong.

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly view the details

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Thanks for your follow up query.

1. Montair (pharmacologically Montelukast) acts by blocking the action of substances(chemical mediators) released in response to an allergen which subsequently.
So, it is used as a maintenance therapy & reduces the use of Nebulizer/Inhaler on regular basis.

2. Desensitization can occur due to prolonged exposure to the allergen & the body’s immune mechanism stops hyper-reacting. So, the doctors are right (keeping this fact under consideration) in suggesting that by age of 5 yrs he should be normal.

3. Antibiotics do not weaken the body’s immunity. In fact, antibiotics are prescribed when immune status of the body is low. It acts along with the body’s immune mechanism & acts as a defense against pathogens.

Hope I have been able to answer your queries.
If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.
I will be happy to answer them.

Dr Polash.